I spent the night on a high, boulder-strewn mountain-side looking-out on the desert, the lights of Palm Springs, and the windmills scattering the opposite hilltops like weird, alien forest of spinning steel.
The next day I came across my first "trail magic"- an ice chest where the trail passed through a tunnel beneath Highway 8. I sat in the shade of the overpass and leisurely drank an ice cold soda while listening to the drone of cars speeding by above.
I caught up with Heart, Fidget and his wife Go-fish, Jeremy, and Ranger and we leap-frogged the the rest of way to Whitewater Creek. It was the first really HOT day I'd experienced so far and it was amazing how quickly I forgot the solemn vow I'd made to myself while shivering in that drafty shack in the San Jacintos to never complain about the heat again. Once we arrived at the Creek we all gratefully dunked ourselves in the lukewarm 6 inches of water and took the opportunity to "wash" socks and clothes.
Most of my companions wanted to stay at the river but since we'd only done about 18 miles and there was still plenty of daylight Jeremy and I decided to press on to the next good campsite in 6 miles. On the way we met "Warner Springs Monty" and his beautiful female friend out on a day hike. I'd heard of Monty before and I believe he is one of the celebrities of the PCT- known not only for being a long-distance hiker but also as an active trail angel.
The next day I left Jeremy- who'd become warn-out from the heat and the hills- and continued onward alone to Big Bear. On the way the trail passed very close to a compound where a guy trains exotic "stunt animals" for the movies. Almost close enough to touch were large cages where I saw a tiger, lion, and huge bear- it was very surreal.
My Dad has had problems with his trailer so I'll be on my own for a few weeks. Therefore I hitchhiked into town with a friendly women who works with the Forest Service and found the grocery store and laundry-mat.
I walked around the store looking and smelling like a hobo- receiving some odd looks or smiles from people depending on wither or not they recognized me as being a thru-hiker. I assume most other people just assumed I was homeless which I found strange and amusing.
Since I'd hiked 20 miles earlier in the day my mind was still pretty trail-boggled and I found myself blinking in the harsh florescent lighting and staring blankly at rows and rows of food choices and becoming acutely aware of my own BO as clean, fresh smelling people gave me a wide berth.
In the bathroom, while I filled up my water bottles from the sink, a young man approached me and asked if I was in the service. Realizing that he must've spotted my dog-tag, which I wear so search-and-rescue can identify name/blood-type if necessary, I confirmed that I was in the Air Force. He said he'd been a Marine and did a tour in Iraq in 2008 and then he slipped me $5 bucks! I was stunned. He obviously thought I was a homeless vet in need.
If I'd had a chance I would've explained that I was no hero- I joined the Air Force so I wouldn't get shot at and spent my time shivering in North Dakota working on missiles that will never actually be used against an enemy- but he was out the door and gone before I could. Hell, I should have been giving HIM some money. So thank you Unnamed Marine, whoever you are, and thank you for your service. And the $5 bucks.
The Big Bear Fire Department opens their door to thru-hikers every year and lets them use their shower free of charge. The young fireman who greeted me said I was the first one of the season! He told me how "back in the day" they used to let the hikers camp on their little patch of lawn and they'd have BBQ's and a grand old time. A Fire Chief put the kibosh on the camping years ago but they still keep the shower open and I was very great full for it- thanks Big Bear Fire Department!!!
So I'll be headed to Wrightwood next week and from there I hope to hitch a ride to the Kickoff party back down at the border. There I'll get a chance to meet many of this year's thru-hikers and learn a lot of fun and useful information about the trail not to mention possibly meet some of the old-school hiker legends of yore.
No comments:
Post a Comment