Having time to relax at home has been good but also bitter sweet. Yes, I actually have a chair with a cushion to sit in at night and hot, running water at my finger-tips whenever I want it, but the luxuries of civilization comes with a price.
I've suddenly been transported from a life boiled-down to the absolute basics of survival: eat, walk, find water, and sleep to the "real world" of adult responsibilities where I have to face unopened mail, bills, and thoughts about school and the future.
I'm starting to understand why some people never stop hiking once they've gotten a taste of that total freedom. There are a few men and women, such as this guy, who've hiked the long-trails over and over again for years.
Yes, it's been good to be home but I'm ready to hit the trail again. I'm not ready to face the "real-world" just yet- in fact I may just keep moving once I reach Canada and find a way to stay off the grid for a little while longer.
I'll be picking up the trail in Etna, CA tomorrow and skipping Section P, which is the 100 miles between Castella and Etna. That section is the closest to where I grew up so I've hiked it at least 5 times in the past and since my money is getting tight I'd rather use it up North in country I haven't seen yet. I guess technically that will make me a really long section hiker rather then a pure-bound thru-hiker but whatever, I'm not going to loose any sleep over it.
I've patched up or replaced some clothes, my gear is packed, and my feet are itching to hit the dirt.
Wish me luck! I'll update my blog whenever time and computer access allows.
No comments:
Post a Comment