Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

FAQ About My Hike

1.  Are you crazy?
Yes.  Those who know me well know that my lack of sanity has been well established over the years.

2.  What is the Pacific Crest Trail?
It's a footpath and equestrian trail that runs from Mexico to Canada through the length of CA, OR, and WA.  You can read more about it here.

2.  How far is the PCT?
About 2,660 miles from border to border.

3.  How long will it take?
Depending on how many miles I walk a day it could take any where between 3 and 6 months.  I'm shooting for 4 months so, except for the first few weeks while I acclimate my body,  I intend to hike 20-30 miles a day.

4.  Will you take a gun?
No, see previous post "Guns in the Wild"

5.  How will you carry enough food/water for 4 months?
I won't.  I'll resupply every 5 days except for a few exceptions.  I'll mail myself food or buy it when the trail passes close enough to a town that has a decent grocery store.  Also my Dad plans to drop me off at the Mexican border and sort-of follow me up with his RV so I'll be meeting him to resupply as well.  As for water- I'll carry a map and data-book with water sources and refill along the way.  I'll use iodine or bleach on the water or take my chances if I think it's safe.

6.  Are you taking anyone with you?
Nope.  However, hundreds of people attempt to thru-hike the PCT every year and often form little groups as they make their way up the trail.  

7.  Won't you get tired of trees /hiking/ not bathing regularly /etc.?
Yes.  Most likely I'll have days/weeks where I'm totally sick of it.  However a big part of the challenge, if not  THE biggest, will be mental.  Fortunately I'll have an opportunity to be in civilization every 5 days as I resupply so I'll be able to take breaks from the trail.  

OK, that's all I can think of so far.  If anyone else has burning questions that didn't get addressed post them in the comments and I'll answer them when I can.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So very cool! By the time you get to the Tehachapi pass (were only 9 miles off the trail) you may be interested in a hot shower/bath, a little electricity for recharging, a home cooked meal, and a soft bed... I wanted to let you know you are welcome to stay so you can replenish anything that needs to be refilled, recharged or repaired!

Aunt Kris