Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

Trail Names

While I've never done a thru-hike I've hiked hundreds of miles over my local section of the PCT and so I've met and hiked with a number of the thru-hikers as they passed through each year.  One of the first things you notice about thru-hikers, besides the fact that they look and smell sort-of like homeless people and they have leg muscles like tree trunks,  is that they all have colorful nicknames, or "trail names," such as Hop Along, Eaglewing and the like.

I'm not sure how the tradition started but it's clear that by the time the majority of thru-hikers reach Oregon they have earned a trail name.  From what I understand it's not kosher to give yourself a trail name otherwise all of the guys would probably have names like Thunderstride Bearpuncher.

I've yet to earn a name but I believe that most of the time they are given to you by other thru-hikers and are often based on an amusing or memorable incident or by some personal quirk or character trait they notice in you.  I'm not sure if you have the right to veto the name or not? 

"Well, thanks for thinking of me, Moon Flower, but I'm not sure if the name "Squirrel Nuts" really captures my essence as a person..." 

I guess I'll have to watch what I say and do during my first few encounters with other thru-hikers.  It would probably be wise not to wear my little latrine trowel hanging around my neck otherwise someone may start calling me "Poop Shovel."  :)



No comments: